Gravey and Rice

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Baking


Lemon Bars. Lovely and yellow, sweet and tangy. Perfect for spring. A disaster for the kitchen!

The crust was nice and easy, a change from the crusts I've been making latley- which require cutting in 6 oz. of butter. Nope, today all I had to do was cream the butter and sugar together- add the flour and a bit of salt, roll it into a ball then press into the pan! Easy and it was so beautiful to look at! LOL I put it in the fridge to chill for a few minutes and moved on to the tricky part- the filling.

*sigh* This was tricky because, I needed to start getting ready for work, and my 2 month old baby, Rafe, had just woken up. And when he wakes up, he eats. Thats just how it works. And instead of feeding him, mommy was cracking eggs and putting lemons in the microwave! So, well, there I was rocking the bouncy chair with one foot, Radio 4 all the way up (he likes radio 4), squeezing burning hot lemons into a bowl with one hand, and digging out the seeds with the other.

They werent finished by the time I needed to leave for work, which was a bit dissapointing as i wanted to bring some in for the vets and nurses there. But I left David in charge and he pulled them out of the stove a few minutes after I left. I'm not sure I'm happy with them. They look nice, especially with the smattering of powdered sugar on top. But the bars themselves are a bit to much like a lemon curd for me. I think I'd prefer them to be like a cake, nice and soft or chewy. But, then I suppose they wouldnt be lemon bars anymore would they?

Well, everyone else seemed happy with them, I sent the kids off to school with a surprise lemon bar in their lunch boxes and I'll bring in a bunch to the office today, and see how they fare.

I've always been kind of weird about lemon bars, I think maybe they taste better in my mind than they ever do in real life. I'll probably give them a miss from here on out.

Later- Well, took them into the office and everyone loved them. Perhaps I sold myself a bit short. Maybe I'll make some for Dh's nephews birthday party next week and see what the family thinks.

2 Comments:

  • Erin...those look reallllllllllllly good! I'm sorry for not answering the questions you left on my blog. I am a newbie to blogs and didn't even kow your questions were there! I never did make the glaze for the scones - I hope if you made them they turned out well for you! Thanks for visiting my site! and Happy Anniversary!

    By Blogger Elizabeth, at 7:59 PM  

  • Thanks, Elizabeth! I did make the scones witha glaze. They were very good, but a bit to sweet. Probably remedied by using less icing sugar. DH and the inlaws werent fans of them, though. These British people are just so difficult. DH loved the banoffi pie I made tonight- thought it had be twice as sweet as the scones! lol

    I love your blog. It's part of my routine of blogs, now! See you later!

    By Blogger Erin, at 11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 


hits