Gravey and Rice

Friday, June 09, 2006

Oatmeal Bread!

Bloggers Back! Finally!, I've been trying to post all week!

Ok, well finally made the oatmeal bread. Think it was actually Tuesday before I got around to making the bread, and that was in fits and starts! No pictures, unless I go home and take one of the half gone loaf... I might!

Ok, well after a busy morning I got started about 2:00; I followed the directions, substituting 2 cups of oats for the 2 cups of wheat flour called for. A suggestion from a fellow expat was to use a little plain flour to replace a little of the bread flour, so I used 2 cups oatmeal, 31/2 cups white bread flour, and 1 cup plain flour. I warmed about 1 1/2 cups water 1/3 cup brown sugar, 3 tbsp. butter over the stove and mixed that in with oat anf flour mixture. This was a very heavy dough, and I was worried about it from the start.

After I had kneaded the additional four in (the 3 1/2 cups white flour) I rolled it into a ball, into the bowl and put it in the airing cupboard while I got ready for work. After I left for work I realized I had left the dough in the cupboard! (mommy brain- again!) so a quick call to my MIL (who was babysitting) sorted that out.

When I got home I was all ready to finish it up and eat it! But, I discovered- it hadn't risen! Or if it had, it was very little. Oh, noooooooooo! I was so crushed! Well, ok. What to do? Throw it out, cry and vow never to do it again? Tempting, but no- I said screw it, and decided to bake it anyway and see how it came out. I'm glad I did. After one hour and an episode of Lost later- I had Oatmeal bread!

Now, I was still unsure. The bread was really heavy, not very brown, and I just couldnt be sure of the consistency. I tried it and it seemed...hmmm. Good. My husband tried it, and said it was.. "very oaty". *sigh* What the hell does that mean, anyway? I think he liked it initially but he hasn't had anymore....

Well, I let the second loaf cook a bit longer and it didnt have the same, to heavy taste to it. And as I sat eating this warm slice of oatmeal bread spread with melted butter, it occured to me "this would be awesome with sugar and cinnamon...." So, I spread the next slice with butter, added a bit of sugar, sprinkled on some cinnamon, spread it around with a knife and popped it in the oven for a minute. This was one of the most heavenly things I have ever tastes. Absolutley sinful! YUM! DH doesnt like cinnamon so he really missed out.


Despite being a bit worrying this bread came out great- probably not much good for sandwiches but with some melted butter, or some sugar-cinnamon- it's delicious. The kids love it, and I love it. Will definetly be making it again. I can see it as a Christmas morning sort of thing. It's that good. Yum!




Tomorrow I am doing a Lemon Cake for Fathers Day and I was going to try Foccacia this Sunday, but think I'd rather do an English Muffin loaf instead. I've always liked english muffins. So, check back for an update this weekend!

Enjoy the warm weekend all you UKers....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 


hits