Gravey and Rice

Sunday, June 11, 2006

English Muffin Bread!

Well, I have been craving "English" muffins for ages, but you just can't find them in England. (typical, right?) So, when I saw this recipe I knew I had to try it out!

So, how did it go? One word sums it up- EASY. This bread is delicious and wonderfully simple to make! It tastes just like English Muffins, but SO much softer- but I might have preferred it with a bit more sugar- just a tad sweeter. I might try that next time.

3 cups of bread flour, 2 packets of active dry yeast and 1/4 tsp. of baking soda into a bowl. Let it sit while you warm up 2 cups of milk, 1/2 cup of water, 1 tbsp. of sugar and a tsp. of salt in a saucepan. When it's warm, dump it in the flour mixture and stir it together with 3 more cups of flour.

What do you do then? Well, simple- divide it in half into two (greased) loaf pans, and set it in a warm place to rise, about 40 minutes. (Mine rose itself right out of the pan and down the sides!) Then, pop it into the oven at 190c for about 25 minutes.

That's it! Spread some butter over a warm slice and enjoy. It's delicious. Try it, it is yummy!!!

(Did I mention how good it is?) I'll post a picture later....

As I get more and more into batking bread, I'm starting to like the recipes I see better and better, and decided that instead of just the monthly challenge of making bread, I'm going to go whole hog and make most of the bread recipes in my book- (only excepting those that require a bread machine!) next week will be Brioche, then Cinnamon Rolls!

Next week I'm going to start my July challenge a bit early, by attempting to make a Lemon Cake for Fathers Day. Wish me luck!

1 Comments:

  • Erin...I can't wait to hear about your brioche. I've been wanting to try it myself! The new site looks great, btw!
    elizabeth

    By Blogger Elizabeth, at 10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 


hits