Gravey and Rice

Monday, July 17, 2006

buttermilk vs. sour milk

Which is better? Does it matter? My BH&G cook book suggests sour milk as a buttermilk substitute. (1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar and enough milk to make 1 cup, left to sit for 5 minutes.) It is quick and seems to work fine. And as I don't know that my local grocery store would even carry buttermilk; it's a welcome substitution.

But, is it really the same? Is there something about buttermilk that would make things even better than just sour milk? Any ideas or comments about this? I really want to know if I'm doing my baking a disservice by using sour milk.

2 Comments:

  • Ah... Very interesting information, Natalia. Thanks for that! I'll have a look in the grocery store today for buttermilk, I might also see about making my own....

    By Blogger Erin, at 7:31 AM  

  • I must say I do miss living in the states simply because of the variety. I have such a hard time finding things here, lately buttermilk and shortening.

    I obviously can't do my own buttermilk, so I suppose I'll have to stick with sour milk for now...

    By Blogger Erin, at 2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 


hits